An introduction into to plyometric training
What is it?
Plyometrics are a fun and effective variation to a daily strength training workouts. Plyometrics is all about jumping and used to be called 'jump training'. Plyometric training can help better your performance in a variety of sports including basketball, volleyball or any sport that involves the use of explosive movements. Workouts using plyometrics include jumps and hops and jump squats.
Plyometric boxes are one of the most effective tools to aid in progression with plyometrics. They condition the body with dynamic resistance exercises. Boxes of various heights are set up spaced evenly apart and jumpers can proceed jumping onto them and off moving in a forward direction. They can vary the jumps from both legs to single jumps.
• Plyo uses max power to strengthen muscles.
• You'll do a series of jumps and hops, like jump squats or one-leg hops.
• You might jump up and onto a box or bench, or jump over cones.
• The movements are quick and use a lot of energy
• It’s a fun alternative to an everyday strength-training workout that boosts your muscle power,
• It targets your legs and glutes – e.g. jump squats.
• Every time you land from a jump, your muscles get a stretch.
• It is a strength workout, boosting muscle power. It is great for flexibility and muscle stretching.
• It is high impact as there is a lot of jumping and hopping.
• You won't do plyometrics every day, because your muscles will need a break from all that jumping.
• It may not be suitable for beginners and you may cause injuries if you’re not used to these moves.
• It can be done outdoors but use grass for a soft landing.
• You can do it at home but again, use a landing pad / gym mat.
• You can use a variety of equipment, which is available for Newitts.com. A few suggestions are made below:
3 great sellers on Newitts.com:
ATREQ Soft Plyo Boxes are a durable design offering stability and maximum safety. Dual density absorbing foam inner designed to prevent users from injury.
Anti-slip surface landing area of 600mm x 750mm for increased grip.
Boxes can be connected together with Hook and Loop flaps to enable stacking, creating various height combinations.
Heavy duty handles for easy moving.
Sold individually or as a set of 4.
Jordan ® Plyometric Platforms are great for slow tempo resistance training, practicing jumping with a reduced eccentric component, or stabilization when landing.
Unique stackable design minimises space requiments.
Heavy duty oval frame construction provides a stable platform.
Wheels for portability.
Working platform area - 700mm x 600mm.
Total dimensions - 1000mm x 850mm.
Apollo 3 In 1 Plyo Box is great to develop muscular power and explosiveness. Dual density impact absorbing foam inner designed to prevent users from injury.
Ideal for functional training.
Lightweight and easy to move.
Platform for improving balance and core strength.
Soft sides, corners and edges prevent joint stress and minor knock injuries.
Durable design offering stability and maximum safety.
3-in-1 design for space efficiency.
Height options 50cm, 60cm and 75cm.
Texture non-slip surface.