By using a gym ball regularly, you can make your whole body stronger! Gym balls really focus on instability and by adding one to your gym work out; it makes you use all of your muscles to remain stable! You have to work really hard to keep your balance! Gym balls can also improve your posture and will keep on improving your fitness goals.
A gym ball helps with:
Balance: by frequently engaging abdominal and back muscles you force yourself to support your own weight and stabilise yourself. The more balanced your core is, the more strong and stable you become!
Core: a gym balls helps you to work on strengthening your abdominals, pelvis and lower back and keeps the surrounding muscles in good condition. Everyday tasks will soon become easier from a stronger body.
Flexibility: using a gym ball keeps your muscles and joints working well and helps to reduce the risk of injury. It can also give you more motion and movement.
Versatility: a gym ball can be used in many different scenarios – gym workouts, resistance training, core exercises, pilates, yoga etc.
Below is a list of 8 quick and simple gym ball workouts!
Push-Up – for an arm and shoulder workout (and also chest and core!)
1. Lie with your tummy on a gym ball.
2. Walk your hands forward on the floor until the ball is under your thighs.
3. Bend your elbows.
4. Lower your upper body to the floor.
5. Hold for 3 seconds.
6. Push up.
7. Straighten your elbows.
Squat – work those thighs and bottom!
1. Place a gym ball between the wall and the curve of your lower back.
2. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
3. Bend your knees.
5. Keep your shoulders level.
7. Stand back up.
Plank – to work out your abs, lower back and core!
1. Lie with your shins on a gym ball.
2. Have your palms on the floor under your shoulders.
3. Use your abs and legs, rolling the ball to your middle.
4. Lift your hips.
5. Keep your head down between your arms.
7. Roll back to the start.
Jumps – to work those calf muscles out
1. Stand behind a gym ball.
2. Have your legs wider than hip-width apart.
3. Squat down, bend your knees more than 90 degrees.
4. Place hands on either side of the ball.
5. Press elbows into insides of thighs to deepen the stretch.
6. Pushing off with your legs.
7. Jump as high as you can.
8. Straighten your legs.
9. Lift the ball overhead, arms extended.
1. Lie on your back holding a gym ball.
2. Lift your feet with your shins parallel to the floor.
3. Lift your head, neck, and shoulders.
4. Place the ball between your legs.
5. Lower your legs and reach your arms back.
6. Come back up and grab the ball.
7. Continue to pass the ball back and forth.
Overhead Squat – to work out your quads.
1. Stand with your legs hip-width apart.
2. Hold a gym ball.
3. Raise the ball over your head, with your arms close to your ears.
4. Squat down.
5. Keep your arms extended.
6. Hold the squat then come back up.
Weight Press - a low-impact way to tone your arms, chest and shoulders
1. Lie on your back with your heels on a gym ball.
2. Hold dumbbells above your chest.
3. Press the weights up over your shoulders.
5. Lower the weights.
6. Build up to more weight.
1. Stand with feet together about a foot behind a gym ball.
2. Bend from your hips.
3. Place your hands on the ball.
4. Raise your left leg behind you until it's parallel to the floor.
5. Keep your foot flexed.
6. Rotate your torso to the left.
7. Extend left arm overhead.
8. Turn your head to look at your left hand.
11. Repeat on other side.
You can find may demonstrations online and you can have a go in the comfort of your own home. There are also many exercise classes that you can sign up to that use gym balls!