At a recent ice hockey match in New York, Tom Hanks was pictured holding a Wilson volleyball, identical to the one he once held in the popular 20th Century Fox movie Cast Away in 2000.
Castaway saw Tom play a FedEx executive who gets stranded on a desert island when his plane crashes into the South Pacific. The Wilson volleyball becomes his only friend whom he forms a deep bond with whilst on the island.
Onlookers attending the ice hockey match were not sure whether the look-a-like volleyball was the original Wilson ball last seen rolling off Tom's hand-built raft in the middle of the ocean, or a newer version, but regardless of its origin the presence of the Wilson volleyball has certainly stood the test of time.
The Wilson ® Mr Wilson Cast Away Volleyball, sold by Newitts is the comeback of the legendary "Mr Wilson" from the Cast Away movie and has continued to grow in popularity over the last 16 years since the movie originally premiered.
5 reason Wilson volleyballs remain so popular
- Wilson is a reliable brand with a history that spans almost a century. Wilson is a world leading manufacturer of ball sports equipment with core sports that not only include volleyball but also tennis, baseball, American football, golf, basketball, softball, badminton and squash.
- Popular features of the Mr Wilson Cast Away Volleyball include a PU cover material, an 18 panel machine stitched construction and a Butyl rubber bladder with a weight of just 280g making the ball nice and light.
- Wilson volleyballs feature a structural layer which extends the durability of the ball and helps it to retain its round shape.
- The PU cover material of a Wilson ball offers greater resistance to dirt and less moisture absorbency than leather.
- Wilson works with the best teams and athletes to continually develop the top indoor and outdoor Wilson volleyball products.
Why playing volleyball is a great idea
Whether you're playing volleyball inside, outdoors or even on the beach, it's a great way to stay fit and healthy. Below are 5 more reasons why the spirit of the Mr Wilson Cast Away Volleyball has been kept alive.
- Volleyball is a versatile sport and can be played with just one partner or a full team, making it an attractive, social sport for groups of friends or couples. All you need to get started is a Wilson volleyball and a volleyball net.
- Volleyball is one of the best sports for burning off calories. Harvard Medical School found that a person can burn as much as 90 to 133 calories during a half-hour game of non-competitive, non-beach volleyball, while a competitive game of volleyball in the gym can burn between 120 to 178 calories. And on the sand, you can burn as much as 480 calories!
- Volleyball is an excellent sport for toning and shaping the body. The physical side of the game strengthens the upper body, arms and shoulders as well as the muscles of the lower body. Volleyball has also been proven to improve cardiovascular and respiratory systems.
- Volleyball builds on the skills of agility, coordination, speed and balance. Due to its quick changes of pace and direction, players have required to use their technical and physical skills to serve, pass, set, attack, block and dig the ball.
- The game of volleyball can help to boast a person's mood and increase their drive to succeed. Playing any sport helps to alleviate stress and encourages players to take pride in their accomplishments. The sport can also improve self-confidence, self-esteem and generally improve body image.